SERVPRO storm response
When it comes to fire & water damage, or specialty cleanup needs, it’s the SERVPRO brand that comes to mind. Our TEAMS work endlessly to make sure our customers are happy, and have one objective in the aftermath of disaster, to make their loss Like it never even happened.
No matter the job or the size, our SERVPRO teams are ready to handle any size loss. With 1,700+ franchises nationwide, we have access to numerous highly trained personnel and thousands of pieces of equipment. Our SERVPRO Disaster Recovery teams are strategically placed throughout the country to respond when needed. Our Teams have a proven track record for success, assisting with cleanup of floods, tornadoes, wildfires, and damage caused from frigid temperatures.
Whether it’s a major storm event, or faulty appliance, we will be there with one call. SERVPRO of Culpeper & Fauquier counties 5404236688
What you need to know about Ice Damming
When it comes to owning a home or business, one way or another, water will find its way in. It could be minor from a simple spill or slow leak, to flood or broken pipe. Ice damming is another risk that can happen to anyone living in regions where they are affected by cold weather. What is Ice damming?
According to the University of Minnesota Extension, an ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas. What causes this happen? According to the University of Minnesota Extension There is a complex interaction among the amount of heat loss from a house, snow cover, and outside temperatures that leads to ice dam formation. For ice dams to form there must be snow on the roof, and, at the same time, higher portions of the roof's outside surface must be above 32°F while lower surfaces are below 32°F. For a portion of the roof to be below 32°F, outside temperatures must also be below 32°F. When we say temperatures above or below 32°F, we are talking about average temperature over sustained periods of time.
The snow on a roof surface that is above 32°F will melt. As water flows down the roof it reaches the portion of the roof that is below 32°F and freezes. Voila! - an ice dam.
The dam grows as it is fed by the melting snow above it, but it will limit itself to the portions of the roof that are on the average below 32°F. So the water above backs up behind the ice dam and remains a liquid. This water finds cracks and openings in the exterior roof covering and flows into the attic space. From the attic it could flow into exterior walls or through the ceiling insulation and stain the ceiling finish.
If water damage occurs inside the home, contact us immediately and we can assist in minimizing the amount of damage that is caused. SERVPRO of Culpeper & Fauquier counties can also assist in finding trapped water in walls and ceilings before secondary damage arises.
Restore vs. Replace
At SERVPRO of Culpeper & Fauquier counties, our goal on every water, fire, or mold damage job is to save more and replace less. When assessing damage in a home or business, our team will determine what can be salvaged or cleaned, such as contents, furniture, & structural materials. Our team will then perform pre-testing to determine what the best method of cleaning will be.
To an untrained eye, it would appear most items need to be removed and replaced when it comes to fire and water damage. However our drying and cleaning methods allow us to save more every day.
What exactly are the benefits of Restoring Vs. Replacing?
- Cost effective-For example, it is significantly less expensive to dry and save flooring than to remove and replace.
- Saves Time- The drying process will return you to normalcy sooner, where as removing and replacing materials will be a timely process.
- Environmental Benefit: For every item & building material that is saved, that is one less item wastefully put in the landfill.
- Peace of Mind: Being able to save precious family Heirlooms, a child’s toy, photo or favorite item, puts that peace of mind back to our customer. In our case new isn’t always better.
- Preferred Method by majority of insurance companies. Many insurance carriers prefer working with mitigation companies like SERVPRO vs contractors when it comes to fire and water damage.
If you ever experience a fire or water loss at your property, just wondering where to start can be very stressful and overwhelming to say the least. Please call our office for a free assessment and estimate. Our professional and knowledgeable team will get you back to normal faster by replacing less, and saving more!
Causes of mold in homes
Mold is a vital piece of nature, assisting with the disintegration of natural matter and the recycling of supplements in biological systems. While outdoor mold is fundamental, mold developing inside present’s health risks and can bring about property damage. Molds recreate by method of minor airborne spores that travel essentially anyplace, even in our homes.
Despite the fact that there are hints of mold spores indoors, they require the right "ingredients" to produce mold. Unfortunately, the conditions for mold development are found in many homes: a nourishment source, (for example, drywall, rugs, and wood), warmth, lack of light, enough time to develop, and above all, dampness. Since dampness is a fundamental factor in mold development, here are the most common culprits that cause heightened dampness in homes:
- Flooding can cause a measurable amount of water into your home, bringing on serious water damage and conceivably cause mold development inside 24-48 hours. Calling an expert restoration professional such as SERVPRO promptly is your best defense with regards to mitigating water damage and preventing mold development.
- Increased humidity can happen in homes from multiple sources — muggy climate, persistent rain, cooking, showering, and so on. To help prevent development of mold growth in your home, ensure your home is all around ventilated and keep the humidity below 55 percent.
- Deficient ventilation leads to increased humidity, and due to this, mold development and different issues like indoor contamination. Try to open entryways as well as windows when viable and to utilize fans as needed.
- Leaking pipes are a typical issue in homes and should be settled promptly. In many cases, leaks are hidden from view, such as inside walls or above the ceiling, so make a point to investigate wall and ceiling stains routinely.
- Roof leaks are additionally a way for water to saturate your home and cause mold. In the event that you see water stains on the ceiling, check for water damage in the attic and have your roof assessed and repaired at the earliest opportunity.
- Condensation happens when warm dampness loaded air interacts with chilly surfaces. Condensation can be seen on walls, windows, solid floors or metal pipes. Reduce condensation by adjusting the humidity in your home.
- Basements give astounding conditions for mold development because of poor ventilation, cooler temperatures (that advance condensation), and incessant water leaks and flooding.
Mold can also grow in various unexpected areas in the home, which can make mold remediation more difficult. For professional mold removal, as well as fire and water restoration services, contact the professional experts at SERVPRO today.